DropDown Menu

  • Adventures
  • Tiny House Living
  • Motorcycles & Scooters
  • Musty the Mustang
  • Puppies

    Thursday, June 20, 2013

    Buell Blast carb tuning

    I do lots of stuff - make fancy lunches, knit, watch internet videos for new ways to style my hair, and now I gut bikes and fiddle with what's inside.

    I bought my bike from Ride West about 3 months ago. I wanted something cheap and reliable to get to work and back. Minor wear and tear issues would have been fine, but instead, what I got was a bucking, wild beast! I named her Cupcake.

    Cupcake wouldn't start, she would rev super high and extremely loud and then the revs would drop off a cliff and she'd die. When she would run she'd scream the whole way - loud enough to make my ears hurt and leave me ringing long after.

    Mind you - Ride West said that this bike was running fine. I've never owned a bike before so I relied on their information. I had a friend do the test ride and up and down the block it seemed to be okay. Silly me, up and down the block was fine, but anything more than that and I'd be pushing it home.

    I had to push it from Home Depot to The Scooter Store - Thanks guys at the Scooter Store for letting me keep it there until I could get someone to come pick it up!

    So, as far as repairs go - in the three or so months since I got this bike -

    Replaced the muffler insulation...well, not really replaced- there was nothing to take out and replace, I just put a new one in.

    Bent the handles so I can actually reach the brake and clutch!

    Changed the connector that attached the carb to the engine.

    That connector was faulty so I had to remove the new one and attach and new new one.

    Changed the pin in the carb

    New spark plug.

    Of course, I have no idea how to do any of these things - I have a dear friend who is helping me, and the internet videos that I use to learn new braiding techniques are on the same site used to find videos for carb tuning.

    I use my cell to take pictures of every nut and bolt and tool used to take everything apart and then flip backwards through those pictures to put everything back together again.

    Put the yellow thingy on the top thing and twist! (That's how I operate)

    Changing a Carb!




    No comments:

    Post a Comment