DropDown Menu

  • Adventures
  • Tiny House Living
  • Motorcycles & Scooters
  • Musty the Mustang
  • Puppies

    Monday, September 11, 2017

    Tattoo ReDo

    This is a seriously great before and after:

    BEFORE
    AFTER
    Short story -
    I drew the design and brought it to the artist my husband used.
    The guy seemed friendly and it was a small thing so he said it wouldn't be an issue.
    I specifically asked him not to use black - I wanted it pale and subtle.
    He agreed.
    I got the tattoo.
    He used black..."to make it pop" and couldn't figure out why I was so upset.
    I felt really disrespected, hurt, and haven't had a tattoo since.
    I have always hated and tried to hide it.

    Then, on a particularly nice day when I was walking somewhere new, I happened to notice a small tattoo studio Ink and Paint on Stone way. I emailed the owner and operator, Nina, and shared my story and inquiry on if she did cover-ups and asked her opinion on what might be done. She immediately put me at ease with her calm, professional, but caring demeanor. Her shop felt really comfortable - a mix of eclectic cartoon cells, dinosaurs, and current projects but everything still clean and organized. It felt like the shop of a working artist.

    We came up with some ideas and since I really like camellias I did a few drawings and she did one and we tried but couldn't make it work. The star shape, single color, and tight proportions weren't working out.

    I started to look for star-shaped flowers figuring that if we couldn't easily hide the lines it might be better to accentuate them instead.

    Some possible options were: fuchsia, bittersweet nightshade, morning glories, and lilies.

    Bittersweet nightshade was my favorite.

    I like it because it grows in the East coast where I grew up and it grows on the West coast where I live now. I like it because it is a very pretty flower, but also one that isn't as showy - it isn't a lily shouting out front and center, but its flowers and berries are bright little stars against a green backdrop. I like it because although it is small and pretty, it is also strong. Bittersweet nightshade can make a person ill if they aren't careful. If you don't treat it with respect it'll get the better of you - that's a sentiment I much prefer (literally) over the one where a man made decisions for my body without my consent.

    Nina was great, loved the images I sent her, and worked up a second drawing that aligned much better with the existing ink. The colors were also much more flexible - shades of purple and green that could blend into the stars as opposed to a flat red that would have been for the camellias.

    It took about a month to find time in Nina's schedule - which was perfectly fine, I wasn't in a rush.

    On my actual tattoo date we went through the placement, she double checked the colors, and it went fairly smoothly. Getting a tattoo on the space behind your ear is painful and LOUD and I didn't want to talk or move my jaw in any way for fear of warping the skin behind my ear. So I passed the time staring at Nina's dinosaurs and still-cells from different animations.

    After the tattoo was complete she went through the normal post-tattoo review for care and gave me a sample of Aquaphor and a card with aftercare review. It has been healing lovely and during a bike ride with D we even stumbled across some bittersweet nightshade growing wild along the Burke Gilman bike trail.

    What do you think?

    5 comments:

    1. I LOVE everything about this transformation! It looks great.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you so much! I'm really happy with the new look. Overall it was a small thing, a minor inconvenience that I tried to forget. But now that it has been turned into something I like, it has actually changed the way I see myself a bit. Totally positive experience! :-)

        Delete
    2. Very pretty! I like your choice of flowers, like you said, for several reasons.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Very pretty! I like your choice of flowers, like you said, for several reasons.

      ReplyDelete