DropDown Menu

  • Adventures
  • Tiny House Living
  • Motorcycles & Scooters
  • Musty the Mustang
  • Puppies

    Tuesday, April 26, 2016

    Hello World! - Meet Our New Puppy!

    I usually try to post on Sunday evenings - but this week had other plans.

    So - sorry for the delay, but it is well worth the wait - say hello to Pyewacket Taco Venture!

    We picked her up after an intensive training weekend with Familiar, our other dog. We went camping in the Gorge and checked out all the waterfalls...but you don't want to hear about that, you want puppy pics!

    She is the 7th butt from the right!

    What a face :-D


    
    Left side spots - ears still down

    First time swimming!

    Serious gremlin-face!


    Hard at work
    So today is day 2. Today was our first work-crate day. We would take a 10 minute bathroom-break and running through the grass adventure every hour, or whenever she woke up, and we practiced COME and NO. As in, come Pyewacket, and no - no eating wood chips.

    At lunch we took an hour-long walk...I carried her a couple times...but she saw lots of things and did a surprisingly good job of following my coworker Sarah and I through a garden.

    Things she has done:
    • Met her new pack
    • Found her at-home crate - her bed, her food and water bowl
    • Found out what a collar, harness, and leash are. She kind of thinks the harness and leash are things to chew on...so working on that.
    • Ridden in the car - falls asleep fast! I think she likes the car!
    • Found her spot in the Doggy Garden for her business.
    • Traded toys with Familiar - they swapped bones and chewed on them within sight of each other. Not bad for day 2!
    • Chased her braided fleece toy.
    • Chewed on everything.
    • Bossed Familiar around - when she has had enough, she has had enough!
    • Worked on COME, NO, DOWN, SIT, QUIET TIME (us playing with toys in her crate together before she naps), CRATE
    • Been introduced to my co-workers, flowers, loud airplanes, a robin, some elderly folks on a walk in the garden, a bumblebee, and whatever else she has discovered at her line of sight that I can't see.
    Today's awesomeness - she saw rabbits! We were out on the lawn of my workplace running around and practicing COME and I saw two rabbits. I wondered how she'd react and so we slowly, calmly, walked toward them. We actually got pretty close.

    When Pyewacket saw them her ears perked up facing front, her front paws got a little stiff but her tail was high and waving, and she started to walk toward them. She didn't bark! What? Yea! a corgi that didn't bark!

    She did bark and run toward some very loud construction noises but we did some distracting with her new favorite treat - chicken jerky and the fleece toy. No problem!

    So, what about that name?
    Blaming this one on my mother :-)
    Naw, not really, though she did think of the name. I was trying to think of a good name that would be in line with Familiar's...you know, a familiar name. You can Wiki it HERE

    Taco is from Hubs. He really wanted a dog named either Taco or Burrito...man-reasons.

    Where is she from?
    She is from Pawcific Cardigans & Pawcific Border Collies South. Emily is an awesome breeder and I went to visit a few times before bringing Pyewacket home. She answered all my questions and asked me a bunch of questions too. Seriously, awesome breeder.

    She is from the "Gem" litter of CH Toreth's Rock Me Like A Hurricane and Pawcific's One Hand One Heart (Cloe). The litter was born on February 17th, 2016. Her original name was Opal.

    What is her personality like?
    We have only been with each other for 2 days - but she seems like a pretty middle-of-the-road puppy. She is a little into resource guarding - growling and whining at me and trying to push my hand out of the way when I stuck it in her bowl.
    1 - puppy growls are hilarious
    2 - totally understandable if she was pushing her way into food from the other pups
    3 - she isn't resource guarding anything else so far - she actually brought me her fleece toy after I threw it for her!
    4 - totally fixable. This morning for breakfast we starting playing impatient waiter game. I made her food and she watched me and waited well and sat. I told her she was doing good and then I gave her another bowl with just a tiny bit of food from the bowl in it. She gobbled it and then looked at me like I was a crazy magician and got a little FEED ME tantrum. Once she sat down again, I put another pinch of food in the bowl and stroked her side. We did this - bite of food, calm down, more food delivered by hand, and petting - until I put my fingers in her food bowl and she didn't growl. She actually sat down and waited nicely by the end! We have been keeping it going with treats and will continue with her other meals until I can put my hand over her food bowl and take her food bowl without issue.

    She is VERY food motivated. She is somewhat praise motivated and toy motivated.

    She is not very mouthy...well, she is a puppy, but she hasn't really bitten me or tried to nibble me. That's awesome. :-)

    She is fine with her crate and sleeps sprawled out on her side or back and twitches like she is running while she sleeps.

    She sleeps fairly well.

    She goes to the bathroom outdoors. I have some puppy pads but I just use them in case - she actually hasn't used any of them - though she does like to put her paws in her water bowl. Whenever she wakes up the very first thing is TREAT for being patient and sitting or standing calmly while I open the crate, then LEASH, then BATHROOM TIME for getting picked up and brought outside.

    Eventually we will walk to the hallway door, then the outside door, then the front stairs, then the gate to the backyard, then the gate to the Dog Garden...but really, we have time to get there and it doesn't have to be done today.

    What's in her future?
    Short-term - This week is getting used to home and initial routine. We also have a vet pre-visit just to say hi and a vet visit for reals. I have people-only orientation at a training school that hosts puppy socialization on Saturdays. There is a corgi-meetup group and various cafe's, shops, neighborhoods and etc that we are going to check out together.

    Eventually I'd like to see her as an outdoor-loving adventurer. She'll keep me company at the office, visit with the elderly folks, kayak and swim, and I could see her in agility or flyball.

    That's it for now :-) someone just woke up from her nap!



    No comments:

    Post a Comment